Tuesday fire caused by hot towel

By: 
STEVE SMITH SSMITH@LACEDERECORD.COM

Hot towels that spontaneously combusted are blamed for a fire that resulted in heat and smoke damage to a house at 410 McPhail Tuesday.   
Lebanon Fire Chief Sam Schneider said the fire was caused by a hot towel that had recently been removed from a dryer. Schneider said this is unusual, but firefighters had seen at least one other fire that started the same way.
“The gentleman had returned home earlier in the day from doing laundry and he had some kitchen towels that he had cleaned and dried, and those towels, believe it or not, actually caught on fire,” Schneider said. “It’s kind of an unusual occurrence, but it has happened, you can go online and type ‘fires starting from towels’ and there’s a number of them from across the country.”
The resident told firefighters he used the towels to clean his kitchen and other things around the house.
“If you research, it’s been determined that washing does not always get all of those oils and greases out of a towel and if they get hot from the dryer, they can combust,” Schneider said.

For more on this story, see Saturday's print or e-Edition of the LCR.

Category:

The Laclede County Record

100 E. Commercial St.
Lebanon, MO 65536
(417) 532-9131