Laclede County Record logo and header

A final tour of the historic Laclede County Jail


Before the historic Laclede County Jail was to be torn down, county officials allowed the Record to film one last tour of the facilities.

In an effort to virtually preserve the building, editor Fines Massey and reporter Steve Smith walked through the building with county officials, recording video and taking photos for posterity. Presented above is a video of a tour of the building, starting outside and going through the sheriff’s living quarters and then into the old jail. The original building was built in 1876. The living quarters were added in 1913. From the 1950s until 2013, the facility was used as a museum by the Laclede County Historical Society.

Demolition on the building began on Aug. 4.

In the video, Sheriff David Millsap, Presiding Commissioner Randy Angst and Sam Allen of the LCSO are seen talking about the building’s history. Allen’s great-grandfather served as sheriff in the 1920s and 1930s.